Problem : overflowing toilet cistern

The toilet cistern in the cloakroom has a float valve which sticks to the wall of the cistern as the float rises during the filling up stage. This causes overflow. The only way to prevent this for me, is to use a stick to lift the float, after water reached a safe level. This is quite annoying. Is there an alternative which might solve the problem without having to use the float and the float arm? Any suggestion? Thanks.

Hi

How do you fancy replacing that valve ?  I expect that if the existing valve was rotated very slightly allowing the float to clear, the problem would be solved. Problem is, that it may not be a good idea to disturb the joints. So if you are going to disturb, fit a nice new valve - Torbeck valves are a good choice. The bottom entry versions are available with adjustable hight, so can fit just about any toilet. 

As far as I can remember, the Elite is pretty standard, with Dudley components, is yours a side entry ? If so, the Torbeck  is available in that version, even from Wickes.

If your cistern is anything out of the ordinary,  why not post a photo with the lid off.

I have taken a photo of the cistern. However I haven't been able to upload it.

If you could please give me some guidance as to how to do this I would be very grateful as my computer skills are not good.

• 4 weeks later...

I have managed to solve the problem by replacing the ball valve system to inverted cup float controlled valve system. Sorry that I could not manage to comply with John Kay's request. The photo could not be uploaded because of security restrictions and not because of my ineptitude. 

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing