those high powered flashlights (Halogen?)

I have one with 1 million power rating.

Since it only keeps a charge for 10 minutes or so (it is getting on a bit) I have tried to replace the bulb with one from a lower rated one.

It was not possible to order one from Maplins and I was led to believe you can't get them.

I managed to scavenge one from the recycling centre.I It was from a 500,000 rated spotlight.

I could see that the bulb was more or less identical and so I switched it.

At first it worked but when I reassembled it ,it stopped working.

I thought I could have blown the bulb but the previous bulb now would not work either.

Have I blown the circuit or is it harder to reassemble than I expected?

I had to get the old bulb out by bending the casing with pliers and the paper clip shaped object that was there before doesn't seem to want to fit in and hold the bulb in place (but that shouldn't be the problem as the bulb was working at first just lying loosely in the casing -but won't now)

• 2 months later...

i have one of those and i have done the same as you and fitted a 6v 25 watt bulb instead of the 50 watt one supplied. the bulbs should be available as a spare part from the torch supplier; people like sealey or draper tools. mine has a lead acid battery fitted. most of these torches are made in the far east and have been without a charge for so long that the battery is virtually useless by the time they are retailed here; part of the reason why they are much cheaper than they should be. i buy my replacement batteries for this sort thing from my local tyre and battery supplier and so far haven't had to pay more than £6 plus vat.

Like a car headlight; while the live wire from the switch is fitted directly to the bulb the negative wire is fitted to the bulbholder and so the bulb, the holder. the fitting and all the connections must be clean and in good condition for the torch to work. doubly so with such a low voltage.

• 2 years later...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing