Tempramental Chainsaw!

Hi,I'm having problems with my Ryobi(petrol) chainsaw.It starts ok and runs fine for a couple of minutes but then it will rev ok until I put the chain to a log and then the revs just drop and the engine dies.Anyone any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by sprintster

Hi.

I,m afraid there's not much going on here right now, must be the time of year.

All I can say on your problem, is that I,ve heard of others with the same problem, one of them took their saw back to Screwfix 4 times and got it changed, in the end he had to get a refund, swearing to never buy another Ryobi.

I can only suggest you do the same, hopefully still under guaratee.

If not a new saw, I would treat the same as an electric powertool, and trust repairs to a Ryobi dealer. It does sound a bit like fuel starvation, but not a good idea to attempt working on a 2 stroke that small.

Hope to be able to help you more on another subject sometime.

Thanks John.I'm afraid it's out of guarantee now and not really worth paying someone £40 an hour to look at it.I got it for about £60 on Ebay so I suppose that's classed as disposable! We've got a garden machinery place in our local village and he stopped dealing with Ryobi because he reckoned they were crap! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the engine doesnt have enough torque.. Soon as you put any strain on it, it cuts out..

Model aircraft engines, 2 stroke, do the same if they dont get enough air or fuel, or both...

Its worth at least checking the fuel filter isnt blocked and the carb isnt blocked with sawdust.. Costs nothing to check..

2 Stokes also benefit from "After-run oil" in the carb when your finished with them too, just to stop then seizing up if not used for a while..

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing