decorating behind radiators

Hi,

i've been doing my own decorating now for years and if i say so myself i'm not too bad. Every time though i ponder if i'm brave enough to undo the radiator slightly and paper properly behind it.... and every time i chicken out and end up just papering as far as i can around it!

Is there an easy way to just drop the radiator that someone can describe or am i destined to being a wimp for the rest of my life?

Cheers,

Yogi.

• 4 weeks later...

dear yogi,

why not take the radiator off altogether and get it out of the way? if your system uses a header tank you can save the fernox solution that drains out and reuse it. pressurized systems are a little bit trickier and it is easier just to top up the additives using a mastic gun thingy with adaptor to fit the bleeder.

i have heard people say that upstairs where the pipes emerge straight from the floorboards there is enough give in the pipes to lift the radiator off its brackets and with the unions slackened just enough it can be laid on the floor, the unions re-nipped and access is complete with no mess...

i have heard other people claim to have fitted flexible pipes to the radiators for this very purpose...

picnic baskets are easier than decorating.

best wishes,

boo-boo.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

You can get radiator tails with valves in them with small screws on them to turn off the flow. You change the Radiator tails on both sides when doing it. Then you can turn off the radiator valve and lockshield and turn off the valve on the tails and then undo the union nuts and remove the radiator. Help may be required as the radiator will be full of water and could be very heavy. Then the wall can be re-decorated fully and then replaced without having to drain the heating system or lose any water/protector.

Otherwise you can close the radiator valves on both sides and put a small pan underneath the pipe and undo the union nut letting some water out. Tighten again when the basin is full and repeat until the radiator is empty. Lots of rags help too. A lot more trouble than the tail valves but I have done it in the past before I got some tail valves.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing