Vinyl over heated tiles?

Hi Jezb

Do you possibly mean under-floor heating with ceramic tiles on top?

(Like in a bathroom or kitchen)

What exactly is the Vinyl for, and what type?

Got any pictures of what your up-to?

Currently my kitchen has ceramic tiles with under-floor heating, yes - I'm not exactly sure what's underneath the tiles to heat them up but it does work nicely. But the tiles themselves look dated and grubby now, and no amount of scrubbing makes it look nice. I'm selling the flat and want to spruce it up, at least on the surface. I don't want the hassle of removing the tiles, I just want to lay some nice new vinyl or lino on top, but I'd still like the under-floor heating to work through the new top layer. I'm not sure vinyl or lino will conduct the heat through it properly or not, and how the adhesive may react to the heat.

I don't know what type of vinyl or lino I need, I guess that's part of the question.

the adhesive is generally a latex base which is kept liquid until applied by the addition of water or a solvent (mostly water base for this job). i think the heat you speak of will age the adhesive prematurely but probably be fine till you've sold the flat if it is allowed to dry thoroughly before applying any heat.

proper linoleum is still obtainable but fiercely expensive. cheap imitation lino is the sort of stuff you might put in a pantry or a box room if you are desperate... cushioned vinyl is an insulator so hardly suitable to cover underfloor heating with... solid vinyl would probably do the job for a time but sounds an awful bodge...

how about sprucing up the tiles that you already have? get them steam cleaned, maybe refresh or colour the grout or replace just a couple or three tiles to break up a dated pattern or give a none-pattern some form and colour. how about then giving the whole a couple of coats of a good quality sealer.

• 2 years later...

yep, not sure the whole heated lino thing will work. Could end up with sticky feet! :) You could go with laminate - that will work with the underfloor heating.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing