Plaster boarding.

I am thinking about plaster boarding a room in our new house. The area is at the moment an attached garage. Is it a good idea to put insulation between the brick wall and the plater board?

Is condensation some-thing I have to be aware of?

The area will eventually be made into a lounge which maybe either painted or wall papered. Do I need any particular plaster board?

Does the plaster board need plastering before painting or wall papering?

Thanks Tim C

condensation, and especially damp is something to be aware of, especially if the garage walls are not damp-coursed and/or only a single brick thick. as it is a new house it will probably have a damp course. better results will be obtained from a cavity wall and insulation between the boarding and the wall is optional but if it is only a single brick wall insulation should definitely be used.

first, i would suggest treating the outside of the wall(s) with thompsons water treatment and then some drying out time. thompson's allows the wall to breathe and yet it repels rain and spray very effectively...

bricks are naturally sponge-like and water that is taken in will through capilliary action and gravity moves downwards. where there is no damp course the wall can become damp through rain action but the majority of the water will disperse below ground level.

where there is a damp course water will tend to pool above it and sometimes, such as during prolonged or driving rain, the wall can become quite wet. free movement of air both sides of such a wall will keep it reasonable but covering one side...

i would strongly suggest that all timber is treated with something to prevent both wet and dry rot and woodworm - cuprinol 5 star will do the job.

if there is a damp-proof course make certain that nothing bridges it or otherwise provides a path accross it.

plaster board and insulation could be used but a plasterboard with a high performance insulation+infra red reflector+moisture and vapour barrier is available already bonded together which would make the result altogether more satisfactory...

i suggest you consult your local builders merchant. jackson's, my local merchant has a room full of experts just waiting to advise on such projects as yours. they have been a tremendous help to me in the past and do not charge any extra for this service.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing