Different options to fix a leaking roof

Hi

I hope someone can help me to decide between the different advice & quotes I've received from roofers.

We live in a 1920s terrace with a tiled roof. After heavy rain last week, water started dripping into the corner of our bedroom.

I went into the loft to check. The timbers, insulation and plasterboard in the corner above our bedroom were damp. This is directly underneath the roof valley.

We've had four people out to look at it. Three of them said that the problem was due to a combination of two things about the lead in the valley gutter:

- it's too low at the sides (only a couple of inches high, when it should be higher).

- it's cemented into the roof, which has caused cracks when the house moved

They said that the valley area should be re-tiled, and that the lead gutter should be replaced to give it higher sides, and re-set to the roof to allow it to move with the house. As a temporary measure, one of them sealed the cracks in the mortar / concrete between the lead and the tiles with CT1.

A fourth roofer said that the problem is down to the design of the valley itself (the bit where it exits on to the main roof is too narrow to cope with a downpour). He said that the valley should be rebuilt, raising its trough higher above the roof in order to make it wide enough to deal with heavy water flows in a downpour.

From a layman's perspective, both explanations sound plausible. So I'd be really grateful for other reactions about which of the two sounds more likely. The difference in the quoted price isn't huge (both around 2k), I just want to be confident that the one I choose would solve the problem.

:confused:

Many thanks!!

i don't know much about roofs, but i just wanted to advise you about your damp roof timbers. it is when untreated wood becomes damp that it is most vulnerable to attack by woodworm and dry rot so i suggest a regular check on this or treatment when your other problem is sorted...

good idea to sqeeze maximum value from the cost of scaffolding by having any other maintenance work carried out at the same time - gutters, chimneys, modern telly aerial, moss removal and so on. if the chimney is in good order it is an excellent idea to treat it with thompson's water treatment so that it stays that way for many years longer...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing