Internal Chimnet Dry Lining

Hi,

I'm going to be installing a woodburner and at present I an doing up the intenral part of the chimney stack. I'll be rendering isnside the opening where the wood burner will sit but was wondering if it is OK to dryline the the external faces. If so do I need to use a special fire retardent plasterboard?

Advice gratefully received...

Guest drystonewall

Hi,

I would not think that it will last very long, I have bare stone behind my woodburner, I remember my parents house had a plastered back to the fire place and it just started to fall off after a few uses of the fire.

I ended up getting some steel cut to the right size and tack welding it in place, then I used some stove polish to make it black, it still looks great now!

here is the flue going in at my place.

roddywithflue1.jpg

Hi Bedge

When you say external faces, I assume you mean the outside edge of your fireplace, the parts that face into the room, not the parts that have the woodburner beside it right?

If so, this would be better off if it was plastered properly instead of just plasterboard, as plasterboard dries out even more and becomes very brittle when heated to the degree that will probably happen if its next to a woodburning fireplace, although modern fireplaces are really well designed and throw heat directly out the front but you may want to consider heatproof screed.

Why not post a photo of the area in question so were all clear on what your intending on doing?

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing