Morning,

I have a door frame that is approx 195 cm by 75 cm, it is for the under-stairs cupboard.

I hope to hang a louvre style cupboard door (single or double).

Can anyone please advise me of what size door I should aim for allowing for hinge space etc and anything else that I need to know about hanging a door (as I do not have a clue)? So far I can only find double louvre doors that are 1981mm by 381mm can I work with that and plain to size?

Thanks

Laurangutan

750mm is a wide span for a single louvred door. the construction of that type of door is not strong and to remove more than an absolute minimum of material for fitting is to invite problems for the future...

i suspect the only way to fill the door hole with just one door would be to have one made especially for the purpose. who ever made it for you would probably have a good holiday this year on the proceeds...

even using the double doors you have found would mean removing more than just a shaving or two from each door.

in order to make them fit and have a couple of mm gap all around will mean removing 4 or 5 mm from the verticals and at least 40mm from the horizontals and could be more if your floor is carpeted...

if the doors you have found are of particularly good quality you might get away with it, but i suggest you check with the supplier first. tell him your intentions and ask him if it will affect the warranty regarding warping and twisting...

a more substantial solution would be to use a smaller size of louvred panel or panels, depending what is available and either have them fitted in place of the panels in a stock sized four or six panelled door or to have a substantial frame put around two smaller panels of a size to fill the space.

it would still cost quite a bit though...

it is not easy to give detailed instructions on door fitting in a post like this. there are quite a lot of how-to videos available. some are free off the internet. if you haven't a clue, then you probably don't have many tools either. might be a good idea to pay to have this one fitted and watch carefully so you know how to do it next time...

hanging a door is fairly straight forward and just needs a systematic approach and some fairly precise measuring and a mastery of a few basic skills and a good "eye" - at least it is all you need when everything is straight... very little in houses, woodwork and life is perfectly square or straight or plumb and overcoming those problems successfully needs a wealth of experience, a good teacher or a sherlock holmes sort of "power of thought"

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing