I tried to remove a light bulb in the kitchen and the glass part of the bulb came away from the metal end, leaving the metal part stuck in the fitting.

It's a screw-in bulb, so I tried to remove it by using pliers to grip and turn the stuck bit. But the metal's far too soft and I can't get any movement at all.

Any idea how I should get it out?

I tried to remove a light bulb in the kitchen and the glass part of the bulb came away from the metal end, leaving the metal part stuck in the fitting.

It's a screw-in bulb, so I tried to remove it by using pliers to grip and turn the stuck bit. But the metal's far too soft and I can't get any movement at all.

Hi Ian

I think I would try usig some "no more nails" on the glass part and put it back into the socket where it came from, leave it for 15 minutes to set, then use the glass part to unscrew the buld and throw it out.

Your not going to be able to grab the little metal filament part, so you need something to grip this metal part, and what better than the very thing that put it in to start with...

No more nails is great because its like sticky putty almost, you could put the glass part straight back in, let go, and it will stay there so you dont have to stand there holding it while it sets :)

just a reminder to make certain the light/power is switched off first. when a bulb has failed it is easy to forget this little detail or become confused if there is more than one switch...

water based no-nails will probably take longer than 15 minutes to set sufficiently due to the lack of absorbency of the materials to be stuck together.

due to the difficulty of sticking glass to anything because of its smoothness its probably a good idea to scuff the surface a bit with some scotchbrite or fine wet-or-dry paper before you begin.

just a reminder to make certain the light/power is switched off first. when a bulb has failed it is easy to forget this little detail or become confused if there is more than one switch...

water based no-nails will probably take longer than 15 minutes to set sufficiently due to the lack of absorbency of the materials to be stuck together.

due to the difficulty of sticking glass to anything because of its smoothness its probably a good idea to scuff the surface a bit with some scotchbrite or fine wet-or-dry paper before you begin.

Hi Verne

You would be amazed at what the new clear no-more-nails can bond together, even some of the most un-pourous surfaces, stick together like they were made that way...

This stuff is incredible, glass, plastics, you name it, it sticks it, and bonds in 5 minutes, I just said 15 to give him some leeway to be sure to be sure as the irish say...

It can be used underwater too, and on ceramics, in the rain, you name it..

This isnt the "no-more-nails" of years ago, that I remember was more like "Bit of glue and "not-as-many-nails-needed" lol

thanks for that info. i've not seen any clear stuff yet - pink and brown, and the stuff i generally use is the (almost the cheapest) white water based which does the job around the house ok.

the stuff you speak of might be useful at work. sometimes things need to be stuck that would normally need a polyuerethane structural type adhesive which is expensive and has a very short life once the tube is started.

i will buy a tube of clear and give it a try...

• 1 month later...

Hi... Im assuming that this is sorted now as its been a while since a post on this thread but...

If its really stuck... depending on the light fitting it might be easier to just replace the fixing! Could even be cheaper than buying the glue!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94296/Electrical-Supplies/Switches-Sockets/White-Moulded/Volex-Range/Volex-6-Pendant-Fitting

turn off power to that light fitting at the fuse board! buy another light fitting and swap like for like, dont mess about with glues etc, yhis will cause more probs

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing