Replastering ceiling and spotlights...

I am looking to have spotlights put into my hallway ceiling....The ceiling needs replastering.....My question is....Do I fit spotlights and then replaster....or do I replaster and then get the lights fitted???? may seem like a daft question but I dont want to get it the wrong way round!!!!

as long as you know exactly where your lights are going to be sited i think plaster first...

if you are going to have to dig around a bit to avoid joists, it would be a good idea to to that before the plastering. might be a good idea to ask the plasterer what he thinks - plasterers aren't normal people and they tend to bite when upset...

I am looking to have spotlights put into my hallway ceiling....The ceiling needs replastering.....My question is....Do I fit spotlights and then replaster....or do I replaster and then get the lights fitted???? may seem like a daft question but I dont want to get it the wrong way round!!!!

Do what I did, get all your lights installed first, exactly where you want them and are happy with them, make sure you have at least 6" of spare cable on each light, then once everythng is in place, let the lights hang down from the ceiling holes and put pipe insulation around the wires in prep for the plastering because a plasterers trowel is seriously sharp and can cut those wires in 1 swipe.

Plastic carrier bag over the light fitting first, then the pipe insulation over the wire and around the plastic bag, will keep everything protected, clean and all working safely, ready for plastering.

Once plastered, you can then paint with mist-coat, and colour if ned be and not get a drop of anything on your lights and simply push them back up into the ceiling once everything is done, looking good as new :D

If you plaster first, it WILL get messed up with the poking around for wires and probable chances of making a hole half way over a joist that then needs "patching" :mad:

Indeed, any job can be done many different ways, and all will yeild different results, so I guess it just depends how neat/tidy you want it to end up :-)

I'd definately get the sparky in first and get all the leccy bits finished, so the plasterer can make good anything the sparky messes up..

I learned that lesson 3 years ago when I had all my entire new house re-plastered and re-wired, after seeing what the electrian did, man am I glad he was rapidly followed by the plasterers..

• 1 year later...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing