More powerful shower??

Hi there! New here and just need a little guidance.

Last year I installed a 7kw electric shower, this was because my old one (also 7kw) had broken. Once I installed it I had a qualified electrician check my work and it was fine. The Only problem is the shower is not very powerful and I would like to now install a more powerful shower perhaps 10kw. Now I know that I would need a much thicker cable but could anyone tell me the size and type? also the current shower is going into a 40amp breaker at the consumer unit. I assume this also needs changing? Also would a 10kw shower give me a more powerful jet of water? or am I just wasting my time? Help would be appreciated, obviously I will get my work checked once completed.

Thanks

Drew

Hey Drew

It works in conjunction with pressure, so if you have low pressure, then even a 2kw or 3kw shower will be perfect because it can still heat the water as fast as it goes through the heater.

a 10kw shower would be a tital waste because all you will end up with is steam, but still travelling at a snails pace. The "power" rating is purely just that alone, "power" (Electric) in the same way an electric heater can be advertised as a 2Kw or 3Kw to give you an idea of how much heat it "potentially" can put out if needed.

Sounds like you first need a plumber to sort out your pressure.

A 7kw electric shower is seriously powerful already, are you looking to use the shower to peel a layer of skin with each shower? Some sort of new treatment program?

Cheers for the speedy reply and good advice!! Made me laugh! fortunately havn't had to visit the burns unit yet with the 7kw. So will get a plumber in to have a look at the pressure. Thanks again!

Drew

No prob's, if its an upstairs shower, like in a loft conversion then it could just need a pump to boost the pressure, but if its downstairs, then something else must be causing the pressure problem, possibly even "crud" in the pipe joins/bends or limescale if you live in a hard water area.

I had awful pressure in my house, but discovered it was the incoming mains pipe under our living room floor, which was made of lead and had folded down onto itself under its own weight causing a kink in the pipe...

Tore it all out and laid new PVC pipe all the way out to the street and now the pressure will take your ruddy hand off if you get too close!

Boiler is also working a lot better since too :D although I dont know why because the heating is sealed, so I'm lost on that one...

• 1 year later...

Hi there! New here and just need a little guidance.

Last year I installed a 7kw electric shower, this was because my old one (also 7kw) had broken. Once I installed it I had a qualified electrician check my work and it was fine. The Only problem is the shower is not very powerful and I would like to now install a more powerful shower perhaps 10kw. Now I know that I would need a much thicker cable but could anyone tell me the size and type? also the current shower is going into a 40amp breaker at the consumer unit. I assume this also needs changing? Also would a 10kw shower give me a more powerful jet of water? or am I just wasting my time? Help would be appreciated, obviously I will get my work checked once completed.

Thanks

Drew

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing