Bathroom False ceiling insulation / ventilation

ok? I'm adding a dropped ceiling in my bathroom as there is an outside roof just above my ceiling. i noticed some condensation on the inside of the outside wall inside the void. There is no ventilation and not a lot of air in the void. void is only 200mm deep. do you think i need ventilation. I was thinking of drilling a series of holes in for ventilation but what diameter should they be and how many? void is 2.4x 1.5x 0.2 metre any help appreciated.s. Would i be able to get away with just stuffing the void completely with insulation? thanks in advance.

Hi Richy

Welcome to The DIY Forum...

Definately dont stuff it with insulation, if there is moisture there already, then your basically just going to add a sponge to hold it all, and when sponges get wet, they get heavy.

What is to stop you simply taking the suspended ceiling down permanently and not having all that extra bother on your hands and damp above the ceiling?

Hi Richy

Welcome to The DIY Forum...

Definately dont stuff it with insulation, if there is moisture there already, then your basically just going to add a sponge to hold it all, and when sponges get wet, they get heavy.

What is to stop you simply taking the suspended ceiling down permanently and not having all that extra bother on your hands and damp above the ceiling?

thanks.

I have just put the ceiling up because there is no insulation above the bathroom ceiling and it's freezing in there. (there is no roof void. the tiles are nailed onto the other side of the joists.)

• 1 year later...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing