Self Build Conservatories

Dear all,

i am thinking of building a conseratory, i thought i would try and save a little dosh and do the work myself, has anyone got any experiance of doing this? how did they get on, what level of ability did you need? I'm not the worlds greatest DIY'er

I also have a couple of questions about planning, i was looking on the internet and found i would not need planning permission but i had a chat with my local council and they said i would need it? seems a little confussing if you ask me.

thanks

Hi James

Always go by what your local council tell you, as planning rules are different from one council to the next mate.

What works in one borough wont work in another sadly...

You will need a level of skill to build a conservatory yourself, and a LOT of muscle or help, especially at the foundations stage. If you have any drains running across your garden (As most do) then they need relocating, as you dont want a sewage drain in your house, and you cant just build over it...

You might also find too that depending on the ground your building on, your foundations "could" require up to 1 metre or more of depth...

Given the amount of money involved, and what can go wrong, its worth considering getting the foundations done properly, by an expert I'd say... At least then if you mess up the brickwork, you can re-do that, whereas if you mess up the foundations, thats a whole new mess you wont wanna re-visit...

• 7 months later...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing