Fireback fitting

Hi there. Im in the process of having my fire converted from gas to coal/logs. the chimney has been swept by a chimneysweep and tested and the gas fire has been taken out, So im left with a hole apprx 21 inch deep to the back wall. So the question is this, Do i fit my 16 inch clay fireback touching the back chimney wall. If i do this i will have 19 inch to the front opening to put grate etc. Or do i slide the fireback forward towards the living room and fill the gap behind?. Also what about the side walls inside the hole? Could i skim the brickwork with cement? would this be ok heatwise, Or would i have to stick firebricks to the existing bricks? i havent bought any accesories yet like grate etc so it wont matter to me. Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hiya Mozzy

You can actually get some fireproof cement, designed for just this job, but yes, leaving a gap between the backwall and the clay fireback is wise to prevent direct heat transfer, but adding protection is wise to protect the back wall from radiated heat, and also the surrounding walls.

You will most likely also need to install a form of chimney piping too, in the inside of your chimney. Have a word with your local council building inspectors as they will know the exact requirements for your area too.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing