Boarding the loft

I want to board the loft so that I can use it for storage. I also want to increase the amount of insulation as there is only 100mm at the moment.

I have seen different laminated insulating boards advertised, but will they do the job? Is the degree of insulation they give worth the cost or is there a better way of doing it?

Hiya AJP

The thickness of insulation you can put down is dependant on the height of your joists, because if for example, your joists are only 2x4, then 100mm insulation is better at trapping air and insulating than 200mm, plus if your insulation is too thick, it will have a "pushing" effect on your ceilings below, wanting to push the plasterboard downwards, something you dont want....

As for the insulating boards, well, the higher their insulation ratings the better, but there is a new type of insulation available now made from recycled jeans of all things, extremely good for insulation and non-itchy too, easy to fit, and apparently cheaper, but the "laminated" side of things might be worth investigating, as you would want a meterial thats breathable, to avoid any build up of moisture in the roof.

Insulate, yes, suffocate, no..... lol

Like the difference between wearing just a really warm coat, or a warm coat with plastic bin liners on top of it.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing