Normal or truss roof?

Hi

I need to put a loft access into a room where the joists are only 400 apart, so I need to cut the joists to make the opening big enough for a standard size loft access.

This part of the house is an extension in the 60's I believe, with no current loft access, and no insulation. I know that you cannot alter truss roof systems, but how do I tell if it is one or not? I have done some research online, but I can't tell for sure.

I have posted some pics of the inside of the loft space, if any one could help before I have to call in a structural engineer to tell me?

post-1103-129970910127_thumb.jpeg

post-1103-129970910132_thumb.jpg

post-1103-129970910137_thumb.jpg

Hi there Perdusys...

Yours is NOT a truss roof at all, thats just standard rafters and joists....

If it were a truss system, you would have far more timber up there, and a LOT less room to move around.

In any case, its still HIGHLY recommended to get structural engineers report done to cover your ass with your home insurance "if" anything were to go wrong.

Just dont touch any of the rafters or the supports (Anything above the rafters) and providing the chosen builder does things correctly, you shouldnt have a problem.

Your best option would surely be to have the existing opening made bigger for a loft ladder, leaving the joists alone as much as possible?

• 6 months later...

Hi

I agree with admin, yours is not a modern truss roof. It is possible to cut the joists to fit a new loft ladder but this would require someone very experienced and suitably qualified to know where to cut and very importantly know how to reinforced the surrounding timbers. So get some local professional advice.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing