Block chimney breast

I currently have an open chimney breast, there is no fire installed and it has simply been used as a storage space for years so far as I can tell.

I want to block off the chimney breast, but rather than have a flat wall I wnant to leave the alcove so we can make use of the space.

Effectively I want to block off the top of the space so nothing can fall down; there is currently a lot dust etc.

Am I ok to simply stick a bit of wood over the base of the chimney to block it off? Do I need to worry about ventilation or anything like that if it is not used?

Help and guidance much appreciated

• 1 month later...
Guest cannyfradock

hello Laura

It sounds like a quick-fix was made from blocking off the chimney breast to create an alcove. All you have to do is find a competent DIYer or a bricklayer/builder to remove the board and replace with a better fitting board and bed it down onto it's supports and then maybe seal the underneath with silicone sealant.

If the chimney breast remains....it needs to be vented to avoid any damp issues. You may have a chimney pot still sticking out on top of your roof..this will suffice, but if you ever decide to remove the stack and re-tile over the void then an air-vented ridge tile must be put over the void.

Terry

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing