It's time to replace our old hot water cylinder, which I have just repaired, by soldering, after it developed a pin hole leak.

The cylinder is in an airing cupboard in our bathroom, but I would like to relocate a replacement in the loft to free up space. and, as a DIY'er there are systems available that I am not allowed to install and I would prefer to avoid these. So, what are my options for a system that a DIYer can install in the loft?

I case it's relevant, my water authority has a target water pressure to the outside stop cock of 1.5 bar. This is however, not guaranteed.

I would also like the option in the future of hooking up an input from thermal solar panels.

Regards,

JW

Hi Willsie

Welcome to The DIY Forum.... Interesting problem you have, but the first thing that comes to mind is, do you know the weight of the hot water cylinder complete, when full?

I'm thinking the first thing to check is how heavy will it be when at capacity, and will your joists in the loft be able to hold that weight?

Do you also have suitable ventilation in the loft to prevent the added warmth of a hot water cylinder from causing any condensation up there?

Have you also considered how you might want to route any leaks out of the loft space to prevent ceiling damage and/or soaking any loft insulation you may have in place, and avoiding any lighting circuits?

Do you also have a suitable electicity supply up in the loft for it or would that also need chasing into a wall to go up into the loft, and the cost of that electrical work?

Hi Willsie

Welcome to The DIY Forum.... Interesting problem you have, but the first thing that comes to mind is, do you know the weight of the hot water cylinder complete, when full?

I'm thinking the first thing to check is how heavy will it be when at capacity, and will your joists in the loft be able to hold that weight?

Do you also have suitable ventilation in the loft to prevent the added warmth of a hot water cylinder from causing any condensation up there?

Have you also considered how you might want to route any leaks out of the loft space to prevent ceiling damage and/or soaking any loft insulation you may have in place, and avoiding any lighting circuits?

Do you also have a suitable electicity supply up in the loft for it or would that also need chasing into a wall to go up into the loft, and the cost of that electrical work?

Thank you for your reply.

I should mention that we are planning a loft conversion of our house that will give us a bedroom and en suite, so now is the time to change the water system because any associated work, such as support structure and electrical installation, will be a part of the overall project. Also, the existing cold water storage and CH header tank need to move because they are located where the new bathroom will be located. As an afterthought, I could also add that we are replacing our old gas boiler and ideally I would like to locate that in the loft as well. Finally, It is anticipated that a new storage cylinder; water tank; boiler, would all be located in a part of the loft that will not be part of the new loft conversion, but will be accessible from the new accommodation.

Back to my original question: does anyone know what my options are for a hot water storage system (and CH boilers) that a DIYer can install in the loft?

Bearing in mind that I will need to engage certified people to carry out certain elements of the work. e.g gas and electrics.

Regards,

JW

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing