Re-wiring outdoor light

We have just moved in to our first home, and like most new homeowners the wife and I have lots of ideas for our house, so whilst we wait for the money to become available for each new diy venture, i think i will be spending a few hours reading and posting on these forums.

For my first post! We have at the entrance to our drive a vintage? style lampost with 3 lamps (think lion witch and wardrobe style), currently the way it was installed by the previous owners was a cable run in the border into the house and just plugged in to a mains socket!

I would like to if it is possible do the following. Re route (or add a new one) cable in the border to the porch where i can connect it to a fused switch. at the lamp end i would like to connect up a motion sensor so that it comes on at night when someone comes into our drive.

I am quite capable of wiring, however my knowledge at the moment on mains wiring etc. is not great so would like to know if the fused switch can be taken off a lighting circuit? we have a light switch nearby, or does it have to come off the mains circuit? Also is it easy to wire up a PIR sensor to a normal lamp that doesn't currently have one?

because the lamp is by the front gate i dont really want it going off every time a car goes past or someone walks their dog, are there products which you can attach to a gate post so that if someone walks or drives through the gate the light is activated? if not are there products which have a narrower sensor zone?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Andy

• 6 months later...

A successful outdoor lighting plan requires selecting the right fixtures, then placing and wiring them correctly. Even though there is no need of intricate wiring a basic knowledge of the system and its aspects are needed for a proper installation of outdoor lighting fixtures.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing