extension cords and power strips

Hi there,

Am looking for some advice about extension cords and power strips.

I am fitting some storage units into alcoves either side of a disused fire place. The left hand alcove has one power socket, the right hand alcove has none, and I need power in both alcoves.

There is another power socket on the left hand side of the room, about 8 feet from the left hand alcove.

I plan on doing the following:-

A single socket 13Amp extension lead, approximately 2m long, will run from the power socket in the left hand alcove, straight through the chimney breast and out the other side into the right hand alcove. I will then plug a 4 way surge protected power strip into the extension cord.

A single socket 13Amp extension lead, approximately 3m long, will run from the socket that is 8 feet from the left alcove into the left alcove, and a 6 way surge protected power strip will then be plugged into the extension cord.

Is it okay to do this?

I am aware that I must respect the maximum 13Amp load, and I can't see myself exceeding that bearing in mind the equipment I'll be connecting.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hey Mike

Its worth keeping in mind that 13amps is the MAXIMUM load, and ideally, you dont want to run more than 1 x 4 way extension lead off a single socket, as it also depends on the wiring inside your walls too. While the extension leads might be capable of taking the load, the wiring behind the wall/under the floor might not, and the extra resistance of all those sockets could be cause for concern in cable heating, so its best get it checked by an electrician.

Far safer to use a ring main cable to take a double socket to the wall properly than to push all the current through 1 socket..

Its worth paying an electrician to come out and check it over to make sure its safe than to run the risk of testing your smoke alarms for real :huh:

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing