Advice on Attic/Loft flooring to make strong enough

Hi All,

New to this forum and hope you can help.

Right I live in a 1940's 3 bed semi we have 4 children and I want to make a place for my kids to play their Train Track and cars as their is no room in their bedrooms.

My attic has two main beams pearlers running paralell 9ft apart going into the wall at each end of the house, What I am after is to make the floor strong enough for them to have their train tracks etc, I will insulate and plasterboard the rafters to make it look a bit nicer with a light etc, I am not after a full conversion so want to avoid costly steels if possible. I was thinking of the idea of removing a few tiles from the roof and sliding timbers width ways across the house so they rest of the front and back exterrior walls and also the 2 main beams in the loft.

I have put some pictures of the loft it helps anyone.

014-3.jpg

010-3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, please dont take this as gospel, but i use to play with my brother in our parents loft and it was exactly the same as yours, going by the pictures. My dad and i just boarded it out with old floor boards and i even at one point had some weights up there.

You could to make it stronger tho, you could fix a piece of 5 * 2 on the gable walls and double up the ceiling joists to run along the side of the existing ones. you could have the ends of these timbers on jiffy hangers nailed to the timber you bolt to the gable end. This would probably cost you in the region of £100.00 in materials, and would make it very strong. But please note this is not how a loft conversion is done. this involves large steels etc.

regards CBM

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing