Wall Unit on wall with damp proof membrane

Hi,

I have just taken possession of my new house and I plan to fit myself a kitchen.

I have no previous experience but I am ready for the challenge.

However, I know that the wall has a plastic damp proof membrane (Platon) and I am wondering how I can fix the kitchen wall units with normal brick plugs on this wall without deteriorating the efficiency of the damp proof membrane.

From the inside to the outside the wall has a plaster layer, a gap of a few centimeters, the damp proof membrane, the bricks.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Bob

Is this in a basement, or are you just referring to the normal DPM course around the bottom of the wall?

What makes you think there is a DPM right behind the plaster? There shouldnt be, the plaster should be directly on the brick/block/wall with no membranes in-between it.

You got a photo to show what your referring to exactly?

This is not in the basement, but the DPM goes from the bottom to the top of the wall.

The DPM is not right behind the plaster. The DPM is on the brick and there is a gap between the membrane and the plaster.

I will send some photos during the week-end.

Thanks for your help.

but the DPM goes from the bottom to the top of the wall.

Thanks Bob, look forward to seeing the pic's, its this one line of yours that sounds a little confusing as DPM is meant to be laid horizontally, across course of brick/block etc to prevent damp from rising, its not normally meant to run top-to-bottom of a wall at all unless you have some really odd special circumstances. :confused:

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing