replacing glass on the door

Hi all,

I'm new to DIY. The glass of the door (only the top portion) is broke and I'm off to replace it with a new one myself. I have removed the old glass off completely after removing the staffs from all the 4 sides. I have also managed to remove the lumps of putty oof the wood. But there are traces of some old putty still left around at places. My doubt is should all the putty be removed completely with out any trace of old putty? What happens if I don't remove it all off?

I have read in other eb sites that, glaziers' point should be put in the new putty before fixing the new glass. Is it compulsory? Because, when I removed the old putty and glass I haven't come across any old glaziers' points. Can I proceed with out putting any of these?

What shall I use as putty? I have bought some all purspose sealant (Acrylic)(white) from Wickes.It says it is ideal for use in kitchens , bath rooms also suitable for use on window and doors frames. For interir and exterior use, water proof, paintable, low odour. It also provides excellent adhesion to non-porous surfaces such as glass metal and ceramic and can also be used on mortar brickwork and wood. Can I use this as a replacement of putty?

Any guidance / help is much appreciated

kl

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing