Lounge light cabling mess

Hi,

I have a cabling mess to sort and am looking for some advice. The problem is with my lounge light that has recently started crackling and flickering when been switched on.

So, this morning I decided to take a look, and discovered a bit of a mess to contend with!

I'm no lighting expert so, knowing the dangers of faffing with electricity, decided to take the prudent approach. Document and photograph what I could see and hopefully someone could point me in the right direction.

I've therefore attached a few photos and a rough cabling diagram which may help someone understand what is going on, because I've no real idea.

You'll be able to see from the photo of the bedroom light connections compared to the lounge photos that somebody clearly thought just chucking the cabling together was a "good idea" ! The photo 'image3' shows how difficult it is for me to try and prise my fingers between cables to draw the diagram exact, so I'm hoping I've got something that is accurate at least in the diagram.

The nutshell then is that it seems that all the copper looking pieces of metal (earth?) are twisted together and were connected to the blue wire of the light (as shown in image1 and image2), and that there is a loose black wire (as shown in image3 and image2). You can also see in image3 (although not too clearly, apologies for that) points A and B where the "copper" appears to be twisted together as the blue wire connector came loose as I was fiddling.

I'm thinking then that as this connection was loose anyway, maybe the black wire that is hanging free was originally connected in there too? It seems logical, but without knowing for certain I'd rather not mess with something until I've asked.

The diagram I've drawn hopefully shows the cabling as best as I've been able to determine. I'm guessing that the other wires connected are for other lights in other rooms on the circuit. Would that be correct?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

post-405-0-83316200-1318331961_thumb.jpg

post-405-0-41473900-1318331963_thumb.jpg

post-405-0-43387100-1318331964_thumb.jpg

post-405-0-41258400-1318331965_thumb.jpg

post-405-0-65611400-1318331966_thumb.jpg

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing