Help, cannot cover old fence paint!

Hi I have moved into a house with quite a big back garden. The fence is painted/stained a (quite ugly!) reddish brown colour. Also some panels have worn and been replaced by the previous owners but these are bare wood.

I have a had a new fence put in the front garden so I bought 50l of dark brown creocote, with the intention of doing the new front fence and the old back fence.

Sprayed on a treat, front fence looks great.

However, even after 3 coats it has not covered the red in the back. It's barely coloured it at all.

Any suggestions on how I can tackle this....problem is I've now got several nice brown panels in the back and the rest this horrible red. What can I do!?!!?

Thanks....

Hiya

Best thing to do with this is to pressure wash the fence first, then leave to dry before spraying new colour.

A good blasting with a Karcher will get the old colour off easy... Will get you a bit wet in the process, but its the only way to do it.

As with ANY painting, you cannot, and will never be able to paint dark colours over other dark colours, it will look rubbish... You need a contrasting background/undercoat...

So, a dark colour on a light wood is great, but put that same dark colour on a dark wood, and it will look totally different, if it shows up.

Give the fence a Karcher blasting and all should be fine.. My fence is the same, it used to be a horrible Green, same colour as the grass, there was zero contrast in my garden at all, it sucked, so I blasted the entire fence, and it cleaned it all right off immediately, although it was slow work, do it on a warm/hot day and its not so bad :)

No prob's, see if you can get a "Before jetwash / after jetwash / after painting" pictures for us.. Good luck, the weather is turning horrible now, so wrap up warm and dry when you do it :D

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing