Building An Enclosure For Outside Pipes

For some reason the plastic waste pipes from our kitchen and bathroom (next to each other) go outside and into an exposed drain, rather than being plumbed in. This is on an exposed wall on the west side of the house, and these rooms are always cold and damp. There is nothing to stop the wind blowing up the pipes and making the rooms cool, and in addition leaves keep ending up in the grille on the drain cover, blocking it and causing it to overflow when the washing machine empties for example.

What I was thinking to do (since we are only renting and can't afford to re-plumb properly) is to build a wooden enclosure about 4" deep to fit against the wall, to stop the cold wind from getting to these pipes and into the kitchen and bathroom.

Problem is, I have wood to make the framework, but I can't think what to use to clad the outside.

All of the wood at B&Q is either too thick, or it's indoor type board (hardboard, chipboard,MDF) which if outside isn't going to last too long.

Any thoughts on what to use please? It doesn't have to look "amazing", it's along a passage down the side of the house. It ought to make a big difference to the heating and damp this winter though.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony

Thats actually how its meant to be. Our bathroom sink/shower, and kitchen sink are the same, they go through the wall and outside into an open drain.

You are however, meant to have a U bend under the sinks which will always have water in it, and this was primarily designed years ago to stop the smell coming back up the pipes, but it should also stop any draft coming in too.

When you say "Instead of being plumbed in", how exactly are you meaning it to be plumbed in?

• 5 months later...
Guest gissle

Your landlord should address the plumbing issue.

I have seem some quite nice lap board timber you could use. I am pretty sure it was exterior grade. Timber cladding is also available. I would have a search around some diy store websites. This atleast will save you the time routing through the store.

• 4 weeks later...

Another problem with boxing in pipwork is that it has to be readily removable incase inspection or repair is needed, but also, its not ideal anyway due to animals turning it into a home and creating new problems for you..

As your renting, get the landlord to sort it out, otherwise you might find, if you do anything with their permission, they might force you to take it down, or you could loose your deposit for the cost of putting it back how it was.

As I said, your plumbing is meant to have U bends in the piperwork to prevent drafts and smells coming up the pipes, so get that addressed first..

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing