Rads not coming on

Hi,

We have had a worcester boiler installed along with new central heating. We have 8 radiators downstairs and 9 upstairs. We find that 1 radiator downstairs does not heat up and 2 upstairs. They have come up occasionally but not consistently. This week it has consistently not come on.

The builder has tried removing air, changed thermostats, balancing, and turned up the heat setting on the boiler. None of this has fixed the issue.

Can anyone suggest what we should do next.

Many Thanks

Nick

This could be due to a few things, air locks, blocked or restricted pipework, system out of balance or faulty valves.

Try the following:

1) Close all radiators Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV’s) except on one of the problem radiators. If the radiator then gets hot this will rule out a problem with the valves or a blockage. Repeat with the other problem radiators.

2) If the radiators worked then it is either an air lock which is moving around the system or it is a problem with balancing. If it is an air lock with a little persistence you should be able to eventually clear it by bleeding the radiators. If this does not work it might be necessary to drain and refill the system. If this is not successful then it is most likely a balancing problem which could include an undersized pump. You need to have the system balanced.

3) If the radiators did not work then it could be a blockage, faulty valve or an air lock. Out of these it is more likely to be an air lock which is not moving. You will need to have the system drained and carefully refilled. If this fails to resolve the problem then further investigation will be required.

• 3 weeks later...

Nick's problem is exactly the same as what I am facing now. Since Nick posted his problem in November, CDS wrote his suggestions to get rid of the problem. I am interested to hear from Nick if any imrovement has been achieved since.

Thanks

v1no

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing