Which side to feed?

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am replacing a bedroom single panel radiator with a double panel double convector because the previous rad was not sufficient. I also want to fit a TRV, there was none fitted before and with the larger radiator it is now needed.

Lots unexpected problems have been delaying this, such as plaster falling off a wall and a wall practically unsupported on floorboards due to cement breaking out over the last 46 years. The house is very cold so I need to get it finished quickly.

The left side of the rad is on a wall less than 3 feet from another wall at right angles so it is very close to a corner and I plan on putting a bed next to the rad which would box in a TRV quite badly. I therefore want to put it on the right hand side where it will have more air flow and be less restricted by the bed.

The new Rad is slightly wider too, 950 compared with 1m so pipework needs to be changed.

Here is the issue. The feed is usually on the left where I intend having the lockshield valve and the TRV on the right, closer to the centre of the room.

The TRV is bi-directional. Should I put the feed pipe to the left where the lockshield valve will be or the right with the TRV? Go with convention for piping, feed to the left, but have the lockshield valve on the feed side or have the feed on the right with the TRV?

There used to be a real problem with putting Thermostatic Radiators Valves (TRV’s) on the return. As the TRV just opening or closing the dynamics of the flow would cause the valve to snap shut and then open repeatedly, this sounded like a machine gun.

Most TRV’s are now bi-directional (as yours is) that is they can be fitted on the flow or the return. In your case pipe the radiator as is and put the TRV on the side with the best air flow.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

There used to be a real problem with putting Thermostatic Radiators Valves (TRV’s) on the return. As the TRV just opening or closing the dynamics of the flow would cause the valve to snap shut and then open repeatedly, this sounded like a machine gun.

Most TRV’s are now bi-directional (as yours is) that is they can be fitted on the flow or the return. In your case pipe the radiator as is and put the TRV on the side with the best air flow.

Thanks for your reply, the pipes all had to be re-done due to the change in radiator size and width, so I have fed to the TRV side, which is on the right, because it has the best airflow to the TRV.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing