Noisy roof !

We've had our guttering and facias replaced, and the roofer has used a plastic sheet materiel under the tiles and protruding about 50 mm down into the gutter, it's a neat job, but the wind is flapping this and making an annoying banging sound. He had to scaffold over our conservatory to do this job, so unsuprisingly he's not interested in coming back to sort this problem out.

So is this overhanging sheet good roofing practice, or does it need to go ?

I would say this is a common practice, the material you are describing is a breathable membrane or possibly roofing felt covering the membrane. See the sixth photo down in this link as to what the building inspector recommended

http://www.myhouseextension.com/roof2.htm

I have seen this overlap many times when painting various properties but I have never heard of it causing a noise. I can understand your contractors reluctance to come back and rescaffold as this is a major job and quite expensive.

Can you reach any part of this membrane by hand via any windows ? maybe try tucking some that you can reach behind the gutterwork, it may stop any movement in the rest.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing