Lichen on my lawn

Hi,

I seem to have stuff that looks like lichen growing on the lawn. I live in Inverness where it's wet and cold, and the lawn is overlooked by some big trees, so it's quite mossy as well.

I've never seen this sort of thing before (I moved up here a couple of years ago) and have now idea of how to get rid of the stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Patrick.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey there Patrick. We had a similar problem in our London garden recently as lichen began to grow in the danker areas of the lawn - I did a bit for research at the time and found out that it was dog lichen. We managed to get rid of it by and large by forking our lawn area to improve the drainage, and then raked the lichen up. Fortunately it didn't seem too well "rooted" so was quite easy to get rid of.

Hope that's some help!

• 1 year later...

A power washer should remove a lot of it pretty quickly. That is how I remove it from brick patios. I cannot imagine wasting any effort to remove moss from trees.

As to the cause, it is just a situational condition. When the conditions are right for a particular type of moss it grows. I think it procreates through air borne spores. Removing lower branches or thinning the trees will change the conditions in favor of less moss. But not necessarily true as some mosses do well in sunny conditions.

I like to see moss but some types are less attractive than others. I have been told that moss thrives when butter milk is applied.

• 3 weeks later...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing