Secondary Return DWH

First Question for you guys,

A couple of years ago heating engineers installed new unvented heating system in my house. They also extended the pipework to allow an extension to be connected to the system when the building was built and ready.

Fairly simply for me to connect extra rads as these two pipes are marked as flow and return, which leaves me with 1 cold,1 hot and a secondary return pipe... So my question is if the hot/cold pipes feed the taps and shower/bath where do I connect the 15mm secondary return pipe.

Thanks for any help offered.

Cheers

AW

The hot and cold pipes do feed the outlets. The secondary return creates a loop of hot water pipe so that hot water can be circulated from the hot water cylinder around the hot water pipework and back to the cylinder. This means that when the secondary return pump is running there will be hot water at the hot outlet within a few seconds rather than having to wait.

The secondary return should be connected to the hot pipework at the farthest (practical) point from the cylinder.

If the total hot water run is less than 14 m then you may not need the secondary return.

The secondary return pump must be made from bronze or stainless steel (not a standard central heating pump which is made from mild steel).

Hope this helps.

Thanks CDS, pretty much what I thought, so all I need to do is run a 15mm pipe from the SR to the furthest point of the new pipework, should be easy as plenty of space. Thanks again AW

The hot and cold pipes do feed the outlets. The secondary return creates a loop of hot water pipe so that hot water can be circulated from the hot water cylinder around the hot water pipework and back to the cylinder. This means that when the secondary return pump is running there will be hot water at the hot outlet within a few seconds rather than having to wait.

The secondary return should be connected to the hot pipework at the farthest (practical) point from the cylinder.

If the total hot water run is less than 14 m then you may not need the secondary return.

The secondary return pump must be made from bronze or stainless steel (not a standard central heating pump which is made from mild steel).

Hope this helps.

Hiya AW

Feel free to drop-in to your own welcome thread started here right after you registered...

This new topic is for plumbing, and we prefer people to introduce themselves before they leap right into the "I need help" as a common curtesy really.

1 Post unlocks the rest of the forums :D

Moving this to plumbing..

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing