am I overloading the circuit?

With refference to my downstairs sockets circuit. I have just built a conservatory and ran a spur socket outlet from another socket outlet on the other side of the wall.

From this spur socket outlet which is now in my conservatory will I be able to run cable to power a light and a blow heater?

• 3 months later...

i think this depends on all sorts of things. in theory you will probably be ok but if you have only one ring circuit... if there is already a big load within the house... if your blow heater is a full 3kw type... if your light is a bit more than a small reading lamp... if your consumer unit uses fuses instead of mcb's... if the heater is going to be used extensively when you escape into your conservatory while the rest of the family is still doing its thing inside...

i suggest you think about these things and proceed carefully. a 3kw heater imposes a heavy load on ordinary economy wiring on its own so these things need to be considered. during cold weather when it is run almost continuously considerable heating of the plug and local wiring is likely to take place which is bound to cause trouble in the long term. hard wiring into a spur unit would help a bit.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing