Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently doing up my garden, but am having difficulty decideing weather to use decking or patio? Does anyone know which would be better? What would people reccomend?

Many Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Inspire

Hi Paul

I have and half and half on my garden but as soon as the decking has had a few more years I will be replacing with stone flags the reason being we have a load of trees over the back from us and with the leaves and sap falling from the tree it leaves the decking very black after the winter period, all though it does clean up fairly well with a pressure washer it never looks as good as when I first put it down

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi i personally dislike decking as it can get very slippery when wet or even damp with tree leaves and sap. Go for a nice natural looking stone slab or even a nice shingle or pubble covering.

Edited by dantheman88
  • 1 month later...
Guest gissle

Decking will take more maintenance, ours needs staining again soon :-( . I am sure that there must also be a cost difference, i would imagine that decking would be cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

A proper patio would be a far better move, and really shouldnt cost much more than a patio, is easier to maintain, and far cheaper to maintain, easier to clean, always looks "Good as new" when cleaned (Unlike decking) and also doesnt create voids underneath it for animals to live in like mice, rats etc...

I've just laid my own using plastic driveway trays from B&Q, dug a big square out of my grass 2.5m x 4m, 2" deep, lined it with weed barrier, drop the trays in (They lock together) then fill with gravel/sand and just lay my slabs on top...

Looks awesome, cheap enough to do without too much messing about, and its easily removable if I sell the house and the new owner doesnt like it, so another plus point..

Total cost was

• 32 plastic trays £160
  • 32 Paving slabs £120
  • 400kg Gravel £30
  • 1 Roll weed barrier £25

Much easier to install than decking, no messing about measuring and drilling and screwing everything together, it just slotted together in 2 minutes (all 32 trays) then I just dumped in the gravel and dropped the slabs on :-)

You dont even have to dig out the topsoil like I did, you could just drop it straight onto your lawn if its level and firm enough..

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing