DIY request: Wiring lights, fans, and pumps from scratch 101

Hi guys!

I have a bunch of scratch materials that my grandpa gave me for building a vivarium in his den and need your help with the wiring. Specifically I could really use your input and advice on the following subjects:

1. Wiring, powering and safety precautions for multiple lighting fixtures in a single, open space. To expand a bit on this here is a list of my lighting supplies:

1. I have one 2' T-5 fixture with 4 bulbs.
    2. Fourteen CFL's (eight 28 watt, two 36 watt, two 100 watt, two 250 watt - yes this is going to be a big vivarium) - It looks like they fit in any standard light socket?
    3. Want to wire these using as few materials as possible.
    4. Keeping safety in mind so I'm looking for advice on power requirements, wire gagues, max volts, amps & watts, etc.

5. Wiring, making sure I meet proper power requirements and utilize any safety techniques for fans, water pumps, and air pumps.

Questions:
      1. What measurements should I be posting here/paying attention to for each component? ie. lights, wires, plugs, pumps, etc.? I did not post all of them because I wasn't sure which would be most useful or necessary - watts vs amps vs voltage. I know the difference between them all by definition, but as for measurements and making sure that I'm not putting things on the wrong circuit, etc... I haven't been able to find a very clear guide on this kind of information.
      2. Not sure about this so I'm hoping one of you can help me find the right answers: Do I need to get something special like a ballast for the 100 and 250 watt CFL lights? I did not want to get a ballast because I have a bunch of free lamp cord, lighting sockets, and plugs my grandpa gave me. So I'd like to use these and save money if I can, but that all depends on the answer!
      3. How can I tell what the maximum amount of power is for a wall outlet aside from gradually adding more power until the breaker flips (I would never do this). What units of measurement should I be looking at for this?
      4. When choosing which wires to use, how do I tell what kind of power is coming in?

I don't have the air pumps or water pumps yet. I wanted to wait to make sure I'm taking all of my measurements before hand, and doing it right (do I measure the volts, amps, and watts? I notice some products don't give you the wattage...).

Looking forward to this! Hope we can create a really awesome vivarium.

Thanks in advance,

Seth :)

Edited by DIYbeginnr

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing