Radiators: Condensation boiler

Last year round about this time I got a new Worcester Greenstat condensation bolier installed by a gas safe engineer.

One of the radiators in the ground floor was cold. I bleeded the radiator and followed the instructions suggested in another forum member's topic. It worked to some extent. For last three months this radiator and another one in the ground floor stopped working. I could not bleed the radiators this time, because water spurts out as soon as the bleed valve is open.

This brings me to ask if itis the size of the boiler that might have something to do with it. What is the suitable

size of the boiler for a detached two storey house with 10 radiators?

It’s not the boiler size. If the boiler was undersized the whole heating system would under preform rather than individual radiators.

The probable causes are:

1) Stuck Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV). TRV's can stick closed if left shut for a long period, try taking off the TRV head and see if the pin is moving freely. If not you can use a pair of pliers to gently free the pin but be careful not to pull the pin all the way out.

2) The radiators are blocked by sludge. This often results in the outside and top of the radiator getting warm but the central area remaining cold. Did you have the system flushed when the new boiler was installed? If not sludge could be the problem. You will need to take the radiator off to check (the sludge will be black and will stain floor covering etc. so be careful). If it is blocked then the system will need flushing.

3) Air lock in the pipework feeding these radiators. It is sometimes possible to shift such an airlock by closing all the other radiators TRV's as this will force the flow around the offending radiator/pipework.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing