help with brick cellar floor

hi, i am thinking of relaying the cobbled brick foor in my cellar as the previous is not in good condition. The current brick floor is sat on approx. 2 ft of dry sand. Can I put any insulation down before relaying the bricks to make it a bit warmer. Also, would it be a good idea to put dowm a damp proof membrane

? I did consider relaying a concrete floor but when I took up bricks between the walls of the houses on either side, it was only 1 brick deep! is this normal?

thanks

Jay

:)

• 5 months later...

i think this depends on how damp your cellar is? if you leave some plastic sheet on the brick floor for a few hours does it show signs of moisture? if it does your cellar is damp! some people are very fortunate and have very dry cellars but most are damp to some degree which will vary depending on season and rainfall and how much ventilation there is down there.

a waterproof membrane (and insulation is usually waterproof) will deny any rising moisture a path into the porous brick floor where it can evaporate and safely be taken away by the ventilation... instead it will take any other pathway available to it which is likely to be into the cellar walls. in extreme cases it will make the walls sodden and running with water.

the walls of my cellar (even with a brick floor) were like that before i made extra ventilation and installed an electric fan which runs all the time. a few years later i can leave tools and stuff down there without too many problems... trouble is being down there is like being outside so a cosy winter retreat it is not!

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing