Hi. I really do need some help on this. I'm also new on here so be kind please. Right this is the problem. I have a draft coming down the stairs, it's so bad that when I put a candle on the stairs it very nearly blows it out. Its a semi but the stairs are in the middle, so no outside walls. All rooms upstairs have draft excluders fitted. No room up stairs shows any signs of draft. The loft hatch is in the bathroom and no draft from there either. When all doors upstairs are closed the draft is still there. It's so bad you can feel it on your face when you walk upstairs. The stairs have a brand new carpet and underlay. All the skirting boards and stair rails have no gaps. Please if you can give me nay ideas on what to check next I would be very grateful. Paul

• 5 months later...

hiya paul.

you posted quite a while ago now, sorry i didn't see it at the time. i was wondering if you had reached any conclusions about your draughty home? from your description it sounds more like you need an expert on the supernatural...

it sounds quite an unlikely problem that a draught is coming down the stairs. normal convection would usually send the air the other way.

apart from the question of where all that air is coming from, i am wondering where it is going and what is pulling it downstairs? do you have an efficient chimney or something? if the downstairs is sealed up really tight the air to supply a good chimney will have to come from somewhere and a chimney will not be deprived... unless it is fitted with underfloor fireplace ventilation a house with a chimney invariably has a draught somewhere...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing