Conservatory Planning Permission

Hi,

I just like to make a small post about the new Planning Permission rules from October 2008 for Conservatories.

Under the new Planning regulations that came into effect from 1st of October 2008, Planning Permission will be required for your conservatory if any of these conditions are met:

If more than half the area of land around the "original house"* is covered by additions or other buildings.

If a conservatory is forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.

If a conservatory is higher than the highest part of the roof.

If the depth of a rear conservatory exceeds three metres for an attached house (semi-detached/ terrace) and four metres for a detached house.

If the height of the Conservatory exceeds four metres.

If a side conservatory Protrudes further than half that of the original house.

* The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

I hope this helps homeowners and contractors with this grey area. We receive alot of Retrospective Planning Applications.

Clair

• 2 years later...

I feel so silly now, have just posted a new topic about planning permission! I obviously didnt look very well in the forums. I must say though this has helped me out with my understanding on planning permission.

Many Thanks

Edited by admin
Removed ad link
  • 5 months later...

I’m a builder...if you live in a normal house..Not listed..Then you do not need permission providing you stick to a few rules ..it’s not built on the front of house .but if built on rear it can be 3 metres deep ..4 meters if a detached property and as wide as property ..the roof must be no more than 4 metres tall ..you do not need building regs either for a conservatory ..but beware ..you must keep your back door ..you cannot create an opening in to the conservatory from the main building without a lockable door ..too easy for burglars ..Your insurance will be void ..and its against building regs

• 7 months later...

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing