Squeaking real wood floor

Hi Tony

Huge welcome to the DIY Forum.... Glad you found us..

It "sounds like" (Pardon the pun), your boards are jammed to close to each other. Are these actual intelocking wooden floor strips, or actual 100% planks or something?

Do you have any pictures of it?

They are Tongue & Groove boards from B&Q, I watched the "How to lay Laminate & Real Wood Floor" DVD from B&Q, they suggested using straps pull the boards together, so I (being a novice) went and bought some straps and 'racheted' the boards together :cool:, so yes, they are tight against each other. I'll add a photo when I get a chance.

Ahhh, well, that sounds like the very reason why they are squeaking. A little baby powder between the boards, in the joins prior to pinning stops that happening, but ultimately, strapping them tighter often makes it worse "if" the floor is laid on a non-rigid surface.

If its B&Q laminate flooring, or such like clip together flooring, then ideally, the entire floor should be allowed to "float" with none of it nailed down at all, but if its the solid, thick oak flooring for example, then that stuff can be pinned no prob's, but the floor underneath needs some preparation.

Whats it all laid on? Wooden floorobards under it I assume?

Were any of those sqeaking prior to this?

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing