Welcome to The DIY Forum DIYbeginnr

Hi DIYbeginnr,

Welcome to The DIY Forum, and thanks for joining us here.

Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I certainly look forward to hearing from you sometime soon, and hearing all about your DIY experiences...

Be sure to check out the DIY Forum rules above, just to ensure were all on the same page...

Why not tell us a little about yourself, let others get to know you, and what you get up to?<font size="3"><font size="2">

Please do NOT post links to your business, adverts or any other kind of spam. New members posting links to their business/shop or who seem to be here ONLY to plug their business WILL be deleted and flagged as a spammer with ALL Invision Powerboard Forums!</font></font>

Welcome again

Richard... DIY Forum Slave

Woohoo! Let the adventures in DIY begin :)

Hey there everybody. Hi Richard.

About me:

I'm a web programmer. Growing up I never had any DIY or shop influences in my life, which stinks because I love this stuff now that I've finally got my hands on a set of tools and some supplies.

My first DIY project is building my own set of living room furniture from old Craigslist furniture. I'm careful about what I get off of there - so far I've got:

Repurposing materials:

• A TV center made of laminated particle board.
  • A computer-hutch/storage cabinet.
  • A solid wood dresser (not sure what kind of wood, its pretty old though).
  • A really nice Ikea Coffee table with a glass top (it comes right off).

Materials from scratch:

• A bolt of navy blue and a bold of olive green microfibre.
  • About 152" x 72" of high density upholstery foam (I think it's somewhere between 5"-8" thick) and I have another 152" x 72" of even higher density soft upholstery foam that is only about 3" thick.
  • A couch frame that I built from 1-1/4" galvanized steel piping (think modern style..)

For the first three I want to cut them up and convert them into couch-benches (upholstery and all).

For the coffee table I want to convert it into a light-bright coffee table (google it - there are a few different tuts for it. I found one on ikea hacks website).

Here is a partial list of all my tools:

Circular Saw (corded)

Orbital JigSaw (corded)

Reciprocating Saw (corded)

Drill (corded) and a decent set of drill bits.

Kreg Jig Master Set

About 100 wood screws of varying lengths, mostly below 1" in length - not sure about width but they are all fairly skinny.

Electrical Tape

Various metal brackets - triangular shaped, L shaped, T shaped brackets for securing joints and angles to supplement the Kreg.

6 9' 2x8's (which are actually more like 1.75" x 7.5") NOT planed or surfaced.

Cheapo ($17) staple gun.

Anywho I have a TON of DIY ideas and I want to complete at least the two couches by tomorrow afternoon. I would appreciate any advice and info you all can provide!

Oh and one more thing... In this post what do you mean by "and what you get up to?" Looks like a typo!

Cheers :) ,

Seth