this weekend a gas fitter disconnected my gas fire in the front room and pulled the fire away to show that there is nothing at the back of the fire apart from a open chimney and a few lead pipes which used to connect to the hot water boiler which used to be there, there is just a hole with no fire bricks/fire grate,

im thinking of installing a cast iron fire wood/coal burning basket and im thinking that im going to have to rebuild the fire wall up again so the fire dosen't damage any other part of the fire, or failing that i may put an log burning stove in what you think, has anybody done a open fire/stove,richard thanks:D

Hi Richard, we had our gas fire taken out and replaced with a multi fuel stove. We had to take down the whole chimney breast and rebuild, as the space at each side of the stove wasn't big enough, (min 6" for our stove). We also had the chimney re-lined, using a steel liner, as it hadn't been sealed properly when it was built and there were gaps in the joints. It was all worth it though, as the room is mega warm now and it looks fantastic! Doesn't really save any money though, as wood and coal are expensive too and when you combine the cost of the stove and work, it'll take at least ten years to break even, but i still love it and would do it again if we ever move!

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing