Leaking copper to pvc pipe join

Hi,

There seems to be a slow leak from the inlet pipe on our toilet where the copper pipe meets the pvc inlet valve thread on the underside of the cistern. Currentpy there is just a metal nut that has been tightened to make the seal. There doesnt appear to be any sealant on the thread as far as I can tell. Can anyone offer any advice on how best to tackle this problem and stop the leak? Thanks

Shubz

Hi

This should be easy to fix. There should not be any sealer on the thread, the joint is sealed by a washer. Washers are easily obtained, known as 1/2 inch tap connector washer. Do not use any jointing compound as this can harm the plastic. The only sealer than can be used on the washer is the silicone type, comes in a tube, and is called external leak sealer. no sealer of any type on the thread.

Thanks for the response, there id a washer on the pipe seal already. I think the problem may lie with the fact that the copper pipe meets the pvc thread at a slight angle. I've bought a flexible tap connector and am thinking about cutting back the copper pipe to make a better seal. do you think this will work?

You're quite right, if the pipe is at an angle it wont seal, and it's too easy to cross thread a plastic pipe. Flexible connectors usually have soft washers, so no overtightening. On the copper end, just make sure the copper is free from paint etc, and no sealant on the thread.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing