Dubious Roofing Work...need opinions!!

Hi All

I've just had some minor roofing work done to a bay window at the front of the house. I stupidly didn't check the work before paying but when I did was quite surprised. Before I call the builder to discuss, I just wanted to have some other opinions.

Does this look right?? I'm really not sure!!

Many Thanks

James

post-796-129970910008_thumb.jpg

post-796-129970910009_thumb.jpg

post-796-129970910011_thumb.jpg

post-796-129970910013_thumb.jpg

I wish I had taken some pictures of the roof before the work had been done, because all I'm doing is comparing to what was there before.

The flashing on the new roof is a lot higher than previously, where it was about 400mm from the roof line, it now reaches up to below the window sill. The flashing also reaches around the side of the masonry (third pic) which it didn't do before.

I just wanted some other opinions on whether this is how it should be done.

Hiya James

What is it your surprised about exactly?

What makes you think it could be dubious?

It looks fine, but I really would ask why the roof has a dent in it allowing water to just sit there? That should have been remedied.

I hope that isnt silicon sealant thats holding the flashings in place too?

i agree. there is something iffy about it!

certainly the lead work is hardly as decorative as it should be considering where it is and i assume that is green mineral felt up the wall where it is going to be highly vulnerable to scuffing and wear... and posible tearing if it is too tight and any give in the roof...

i agree with diy guy about the dent in the floor - it should not be there and the drain off doesnt look big enough unless there is another the other side? it would be nice to know what preparatory work they did - if any.

most jobs are ok if the price is right and if this was the lowest quote you have probably got the job that matches the price though if that builder was capable of a better job he probably wouldnt have been the cheapest - if you see what i mean?

considering the stonework and the clear quality of the house i think the job required someone with a wider experience than an ordinary builder in order to get the job done to a suitable finish.

i think the result should have something of the look of a church roof and an air of permanence, though this would probably cost more. possibly you didnt do a lot of research before engaging your builder?

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing