heating is fine but we have no hot water

A couple of days ago we noticed our hot water was tepid, then it just stayed cold.

Timer hasn't been fiddled with by the kids and when I select override for HW the boiler kicks in sure enough but quickly shuts off again.

When I feel the inlet and outlet of the tank heating coil, when I force override (HW) the top feed gets red hot very quickly, but the bottom pipe (the one connected to the motorised valve) stays cold.

Any ideas?

busted valve???

Air lock???

When I lower the stat temp on the tank I can hear the motorised valve whirring shut, but increasing the stat temp I hear nothing. The manual lever on the valve is loose and won't hook into the little slot when the stat is on normal temp, but as soon as the stat is lowered and the valve shuts it will slide under tension and sit in the little groove no problem - don't know if this is significant or not.

Any ideas as to how to fix very gratefully received - a few years ago I phoned several plumbers for HW but no heating I didn't get much enthusiasm from any of them to want to rush round and fix it - so any DIY fixes you can suggest would be enormously appreciated.

i haven't yet had the delights of modern heating/hot water systems. to my inexperienced mind it sounds like a dud valve.

i do have a mate who is a plumber who complains about the unreliability of electric valves, especially in airing cupboards where they apparently get too hot, and the fact that few of his customers like paying the high cost of labour for draining down and replacing the valve so he had recently been stripping and repairing the valves in situ. which saves a lot of time and cuts the cost dramatically...

more than that i cannot tell you.

sometimes you have to ask the right question to get the right answer!

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing