Welcome To The Diy Forum Curly87

Hey all!

Im currently a final year student at university, and would like to ask if you wouldnt mind sparing a few minutes to fill out a very quick survey for me? There are only around eight questions and most of those are multiple choice!

At the moment I am taking a module where we have to design a new product or alter an existing one. The area that I am looking at is the Cordless Tool market, so just trying to do some market research around the use of cordless tools. Particularly looking to see if there is an issue regarding the weight of the tool when being used.

So if you use a cordless tool I would very much like your input!

There are two different surveys,

The first one is for Tradesmen who use cordless tools as part of your profession:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G5XLPXP

Then this survey is for people who use a cordless drill for DIY in the domestic market:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G5H59WG

They are separated just so I can compare the results, however the surveys are pretty much identical.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Hi Curly

There is ALWAYS an issue with weight, but thats the point of the tool, if its a featherweight tool, it either wont be strong enough, or wont have enough clout, thus it will be useless.

Professionals get used to it and DIY'ers just bitch about it, although the DIY power tools are a LOT lighter than proper tools such as Dewalt/Makita...

If you ever feel the difference between a Black & decker to a Dewalt, that should tell you a lot...

survey won't let me in without a user name and password!!!

biggest problem with cordless tools for diy is they don't get enough use to give the batteries a good enough run for your money. batteries left discharged for long periods are soon ruined and who can control where they are dumped? diy cordless tools are cheap enough to replace which is good, but does not encourage people to look after their tools... more tradesmen just chuck their old stuff into a skip than recycle properly...

it is the current fashion for corded tools to be as big and heavy as possible which makes them really unsuitable for most diy tasks - hence the popularity of cordless tools. if it was possible to buy a small and light corded drill similar to the old wolf cub i would prefer to use that sort of tool most of the time - as would most of the trades people (in their workshops) i have spoken to about this matter.

i only buy 12 volt tools so that when the battery fails i can use them from a car battery or just wire them to a decent battery charger. the artificially inflated cost of replacement batteries amounts to a restrictive practice by the manufacturers and creates a great deal of unnecessary waste...

silverline tools have a 3 year guarantee and some of their cordless drills have battery packs that are detachable so they can be worn on the belt and are fed by a curly wire lead. the nearest thing i have seen to a corded cordless tool. the replacement batteries and chargers are also reasonably priced - so says a tradesman friend of mine who bought one for use up the ladder in case he dropped his makita...