Fixing toilet to bathroom floor

As a confirmed DIY avoider and in a somewhat out of character moment, I agreed to refit our aged bathroom. Despite taking longer than I had thought, it has all gone reasonably well. Bath was okay but needed new taps and shower attachment, floor to ceiling tiling, new floor and new basin and back to wall wc in vanity units. Admittedly there has been quite a lot of swearing and cursing and I can now just get into the car and sigh 'B and Q' and it'll find its own way there it's been there so many times in the last two weeks.

Anyway, today I reached the point where everything is in, securely attached to the wall and working with no leaks. Hurrah thought I till I came to screwing the toilet to the floor. The toilet I removed had screws going in at approx 45 degrees that anchored it into the floorboards. Rather stupidly or naively I assumed this toilet was the same till I put a screw through the hole in the side of it. The hole just goes straight through so the screw is paralell to the floor.

I'm now assuming that there should be a piece of wood under the wc, screwed into the floor that the screws should go into? Does that sound right? Or am I missing some common method of anchoring it? I thought I'd check in here first before I go to the trouble of emptying and disconnecting it from the cistern and soil pipe.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing