Thistle Grey Plaster.

I can cope with most of the DIY tasks that come my way with the certainty of a reasonable outcome. Plastering is not one of my skills. This is mainly because of the speed that is required (being a bloke who doesn't like to sweat) and the older the plaster is the more speed needed. Of course the lumpy result can be sanded to a fine finish...

About 30 years ago when I collected plaster from my local builder's merchant I was asked whether I wanted pink or grey???

Pardon??? Pink is for plaster board and grey is for everything else he said.

Thistle Grey Plaster was brilliant!!! Loads of time gave a great finish and the remainder didn't seem to age much in the bag.

Everytime I ask for it since is met with flat denials that it ever existed.

Did I dream that bag of plaster? Help anyone?

Hey Verne

Your not dreaming, dont worry. Today though, typically, the grey stuff is the base coat so to speak, and what goes onto raw walls as a lining to smooth them out before applying the thinner top (pink) stuff.

I'm certainly no plasterer at all, far from it, as like you, I love to procrastinate and fear breaking out in a sweat will kill me!!! :eek: but I've got stuck in when having my own place replastered by the experts..

Plastering my own place is one thing I'd never try as I know the mr's would never let me forget every lump and bump, and I'd also just get annoyed looking at a horrible finish every day...

• 3 weeks later...

i contacted British Gypsum recently but had the bad luck to have to speak to a bloke who had only been there a few years so would not comment about what was available 35 years ago. he did say that whether finishing plaster is currently pink or grey depends on what area you happen to live in.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing