cieling won`t hold srews

hi

i need to screw my light fitting back into the ceiling after the ceiling crumble leaving only one small piece of a beam in which to screw one or maybe two screws in ,i don`t think the hole for the light was put in the right place ,it has been causing trouble for years any ideas?

as i said before an mdf pattress is a good way around your trouble; most electrical fittings were fitted to a pattress in the early days of electricity because there was often an inch or two of plaster on the walls and sometimes more on the ceilings to go through in the old houses before a good purchase into the substrate was possible and the electrical fittings did not have holes suitable for huge screws that often needed to be more than a couple of inches long... a piece of wood the approximate shape of the fitting and over-sized and nicely finished was screwed into place with the proper sized screws to give a good purchase and the fitting was in turn screwed to the wood...

this system still has a place in the scheme of things, especially when fixings have to be made in old houses. the alternative is to fix mounting blocks in the cavity of your ceiling or re-site the light so it can be screwed to a joist and repair the crumbling hole left behind.

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing