Painting cupboard doors - seeking help/advice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I'm wondering if someone is able to provide some advice! I'm painting 3 large cupboard doors, under the stairs. I've done a couple of coats now, but unfortunately the surface isn't smooth and it's not looking too good. I sanded the surface down in preparation, washed it with sugar soap, and then applied the first coat. I waited for that to dry, the applied another coat, but now the bumps are appearing. Am I best to wait until it drys, sand down again, and then apply a 3rd coat? I'm using cupboard paint which seems more glossy than emulsion and is proving very difficult to get a nice smooth, even finish. Any advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Hiya Novice.

Prior to starting this, what surface was already on the cupboard doors? Was it laminate or paint?

How much paint was on the doors already? Was it thick with lots of layers or some heavy gloss paints?

Lumpy/bumpy can also be caused by too much paint..

Secondly, what paint are you using? Do you have a name / Brand / Link / Picture of it?

Hi Rich,

Thanks for getting in touch. Prior to starting, there was paint on the doors already- it seemed like quite a thin layer of smooth paint. I'm using Dulux cupboard paint.

If I sand it down, then use primer, then sand before painting, would primer help to create a nice, smooth surface?

If its a thin layer of paint, then yes, no reason why some paint stripper cant be used, then the paint scrapped off. If it was gloss paint, then paint stripper is wise, but if it wasn't gloss, then a good sand down to smooth and key the surface is typically fine.

I note it does say on the dulux website too that only 1 or 2 coats of this stuff liberally is needed, with at least 6hrs between coats.

How long did you wait for it to dry when you did the first coat?

Did you paint the doors in place or take them off and lay flat?

Got a picture of the doors and the lumps?

As you said the original paint was fairly thin, then the lumps in the finish can also be caused by the paint not stirred thoroughly, thus lumpy, or drips where its running down the surface, or re-applied too soon before its dry.

Are the lumps noticeable or only up close when you feel it with your hands?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

I think perhaps the problem was that I didn't wait a full 6 hours until the first coat was fully dry, then added a second coat. What a mistake to make!

I'm now working out the best way to fix this - whether to go ahead and use paint stripper to take it all off and start again.I'd be removing the coats I added, plus the original coat(s). 

I've attached 3 photos so you can see what I mean about the texture/lumps. I think if I were to strip it all off, I'd do one thin coat, leave it to dry overnight, then only do a second coat if really needed.

If you have any suggestions I'd be really grateful :-)

20170817_102215.jpg

20170817_102225.jpg

20170817_102227.jpg

Thanks for the pictures DIYNovice, the problem makes more sense now seeing it close up.. :-)

What wood are those doors made of? Hardwood by any chance?

That grainy lumpy affect is often caused by painting onto sticky surfaces, where the first coat isn't dry yet, but isn't wet enough to smooth itself out if you go over it again.

What I would do in this situation is remove the door, take it outside and go at it with a small palm sander and some mildly abrasive paper, like a 120 grit, then a 600 grit to smooth it off, until its 100% smooth and flat. Then wash it off with sugar soap, then take it somewhere as dust-free as possible and paint 1 coat on and leave for 24hrs.

If it comes out great, then apply a second coat straight on top only if needed. So if there are no uneven or see-through parts, then 1 coat is fine. If it does need a second coat, be sure to wipe the surface down of any dust that settles, as it gets into the paint, depends where you live too, because busy roads create a lot of dust and dirt in the air. (This is just being pedantic I know, but lots of small gains add up to a nicer finish)

The key to a good finish is in the preparation :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

Thanks for this. I'm going to attempt one door and see how it goes (starting with the smallest one!). I'll sand down first, then wash with sugar soap, then, if everything is smooth, will paint just one coat... and leave it this time.

I'm not sure what type of wood it is.. but I think the lumps came from putting on a second coat too soon - the original coat before I started was fairly smooth - it just had other marks that I wanted to cover up (if only I had a time machine and could go back and start again..)

Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help. Sophie

Want your website link here? Contact me for pricing